Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

A house is made of wood, sand and water within varying forms. As most homes are quickly sold and occupied just after being built, the home has not had time to settle and/or acclimatize to the seasons we live through here in Canada. The extreme variety of weather we experience does play a role in the settlement and shrinkage of your new home.
Did you know that approximately 30 liters of moisture is released on a daily basis? This is where homeowner maintenance plays a role in the preservation of your home.
Here are some frequently asked questions (FAQ's) you may have about your home:

Why does my basement wall and/or floor have a small crack in it?

Concrete is composed of water and sand, over time the water will dry and release. This is common, and is expected. Shrinkage cracks, below 6mm in width are not warrantable. Only cracks exceeding 6mm will be repaired, up to one year.

I have noticed nail pops, are these warranted?

Shrinkage and settlement of the house is normal, this may result in visible nail pops. Nail pops are not warrantable but will be repaired at one year (excluding painting).

When will the sod and exterior work be done on my home?

The Origin Homes Company installs sod in blocks of homes, so it may not be possible to install sod according to closing dates. The installation is done this way so that all blocks will be graded together, effectively draining water away from all the homes. Sod is laid seasonally between the months of May through October.

What is considered a seasonal item?

Seasonal items include driveways, exterior parging, exterior paint, sod and grading. Depending on the time of year your home is under construction and you take possession you may have outstanding seasonal items on your home. These items are documented at the time of your PDI and PDI Sign Off. The Ironstone Building company completes all seasonal work as soon as possible but is subject to change due to weather, construction on neighboring homes, and area of rotation. We thank you for your patience and understanding through this process.

What is a PDI?

For more information about PDIs CLICK HERE

What is a CCP?

Certificate of Completion and Possession. You will be provided a copy of the CCP after the completion of your PDI by the project administrator. This document states your home's enrolment number with Tarion and the occupancy date, which is also the start date of your home's statutory warranty.

If you have enrolled the home and require a copy of the CCP, you can reprint it through BuilderLink. If you are not currently registered with BuilderLink, we encourage you to register by clicking HERE.

You may also request a reprint of the CCP by contacting our Enrolment Team. There will be an administrative fee for a reprint of the CCP.

If you have any questions, please contact the Enrolment Team at 519-659-0888 or by clicking HERE.

When do I enroll with Tarion?

It is best practice to enroll with Tarion after your PDI (Pre-Delivery Inspection).

Please visit WWW.TARION.COM and click on the "My Home" link in the top banner, then click "Register For My Home" and follow the prompts. Once registered, this will allow you to manage, organize and submit your requests and claims.

Tarion Tip:

Once you have taken ownership of your new home, it is your responsibility to maintain the sod. Make sure you understand how to care for it. We have a sheet we hand out for this.

Where do I find my Tarion enrollment number?

You will require "Your Tarion Enrollment #" and the "Vendor/Builder #", both of these numbers are available on your PDI Form, which your PDI Representative will educate you on. Each warranty period always reverts to the date of possession.

NOTE: If for any reason you elect to sell your home during the warranty period, the coverage will transfer to the new owner. However, the start date will remain as the original possession date.

How do I submit my Tarion 30 Day Form?

You submit your 30-Day form through your My Home profile through the Tarion website. For full details please look here: HTTPS://WWW.TARION.COM/HOMEOWNERS/YOUR-WARRANTY-COVERAGE/OUTLINE-YOUR-WARRANTY

How much are occupancy fees?

There is no going rate, the Occupancy Fees are different for all units and depend on the purchase price. The occupancy fee is calculated on the purchase price less the deposit and interest that balance plus the common expense fee. The interest rate fluctuates. For more information on your Occupancy Fee, please contact your lawyer.

When are you registering the development?

Registration on each development varies. Please note that subsequent to our submission, we do not know when the City of London will approve our registration which would allow us to proceed with unit closings, within 15 days of registration. If the registration is delayed by the city and or the Land Registry Office we will be required to resolve any items identified. Please note that we will advise you of when we obtain our Registration. You will also receive information from your lawyer.

How do I set up my utilities?

You will receive a utilities set up email via an Origin representative, between the time after your deal goes firm through to your PDI appointment. It is best practice to set up all your utilities to be active on the day of closing. The lawyers will also need proof of this. These utilities include: Hydro, Gas, Water, Water Heater Rental, Telephone, Cable and Internet.

Single Family Homes:

  • London Hydro - Water & Electricity
  • Union Gas - Gas
  • EnerCare - Water Heater Rental
  • Canada Post - Change of Address & Key


  • London Hydro - Water or Electricity (Varies on Development)
  • WYSE - Water or Electricity (Varies on Development)
  • Union Gas - Gas
  • EnerCare - Water Heater Rental
  • Canada Post - Change of Address & Key

Where do I get my recycle bins?

Recycling Bins are obtained through the City of London. For more information on that and finding out which Zone you fall under, please look here

What does condo versus freehold mean?

The difference between buying or selling a freehold property and condominium townhouse all has to do with ownership. With a freehold home, you are the owner of the home itself and the plot of land it sits on. A condo townhome differs in the sense that you only own the interior of a unit.

What is Interim Occupancy?

Interim occupancy is more in association with condo developments. Please read below for Tentative Occupancy information: